04 September 2007

solar sassiness (luna rossa)

there was a total lunar eclipse in new zealand last week. a reasonably rare event. during a total lunar eclipse the earth totally blocks the sun's light from reaching the moon. the moon may be completely within the earth's shadow, but some sunlight will pass through the earth's atmosphere (which will filter out most of the blue spectrum), leaving a deep red/orange colour to be refracted and illuminate the moon. if there is enough dust in the earth's atmosphere, the surface will appear blood red. cool.

it was cloudy in newlands, but we had a good view of the full moon (over the harbour) when the cloud decided to get a move on. it was neat to see it disappearing over time. i think the next time we see it in nz is 2010 (wonder if i'll still be bloggin' then!).

i took a few pics with my dc (digital camera), which turned out okay. mark says they could be anything (flecks, dust, etc.), so i'll spare you and share a professional's rendition instead. there were some decent pics taken by local papers--so i've shared those as well (the first is the view from the kelburn observatory in welli, and the second from canterbury).

1 comment:

Marrisa said...

Hi there!

Just thought it was about time I left some comments, I have been reading your blog for some time now. It dawned on me a little while ago when I was looking at photos on your blog and then some on another that you knew each other!

I have made super friends with lovely Kya (although you may know her by another name!) and she said you were friends!

I loved your post on the rainbows, being someone who also gets rather excited when I see one.

We missed the Eclipse, darn clouds over Owhiro Bay meant we couldnt see it, yet yourselves and some friends of ours on the next bay could see it!! Never mind, will wait till 2010, yep and I wonder if I will still be blogging then too.

Best wishes, keep blogging and drop by to our blog if you get time, you may notice some local places of interest!

Marrisa :-)